Thursday, August 31

Music Makes the World Go 'Round

I really do not have a good ear for music, which is a bit hard to believe due to the size of my ears. I can't carry a tune with a wheelbarrow, and I am so uneducated that I can still not tell you the difference between Mozart and Bach. My gracious wife is working with me on the above items...so, I won't be dumb forever.

However, I love music, especially good music. Music inspires me, it relaxes me, helps me study, and helps me focus on things loftier than things here on terra firma. I have found that I enjoy different music during different parts of the day, and even different music on different days of the week.

Mornings and mid-days find me enjoying Jack Johnson or G-Love. Their folksy, relaxing rythms keep me in a "Chilled out" state and help me remain laid back when my mind is trying to do anything but be laid back. Evenings/ Early Mornings find me enjoying H.E.M. or Over The Rhine. The smooth, beautiful, artisitic sounds of these two groups wrap me up in a big hug of sound as I try to unwind and soothe the adrenaline flowing through my veins after a late night flight. (I have found a little help from Uncle Jack helps as well, you know, the one from Lynchburg, TN) Weekends find me enjoying all of the above, but I have to have my fill of Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson as well. These two keep me humble and focused on what really matters...they sing about life.

I am so thankful for music, for just as it soothed King Saul, it does me also.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Have you ever heard of Eastmountainsouth? Think you'd like them--BEAUTIFUL. It's a duo with W.Va/bluegrass roots. www.eastmountainsouth.com to hear sound bytes from their CD.

Kermit and Elektra said...

Hey Bekah,
I sure have, but I do not have any of their music... they are on my "to get" list.