Wednesday, August 9

And Another One Bites The Dust

For those of you who read World Magazine, do you ever look at the letters to the editor? I would say that a slight majority are apt responses and have something interesting to say. But there seems to be a somewhat large number of folks who decry the magazine and proclaim that they wish their subscription to be cancelled because of some sort of cultural reflection or Theological thought.

This is rather upsetting because it seems to point out more and more Christians who do not wish to engage the culture in any form. One imagines the Church poking its head into the sand like an Ostrich. Now, I am not sure if these folks actually read other news publications, but if they do, do they cancel all their other subscriptions if they do not write exactly what agrees with them? I can hardly see how they could read any other publications since World is about the only reasonable voice out there in the vast liberal slop called news.

The point being that as Christians we can not cast off a person, a Church, a community because they may have said something that we do not 100% agree with. We as the Church need to actively engage not only the culture but each other as well. So in effect, I am issuing a challenge to the Church... Grow a pair...Now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said!

Rachel said...

A pair of what? Eric, whatever do you mean?

Rebekah said...

Well, I do see the point of those who take issue with World. I agree that there is a lot of good writing in the magazine, and it's fantastic that there's actually something mainstream that's not full of filth, but in my opinion World often seems more intent upon hurling jabs at pop culture rather than being creative and interesting in and of itself. Case in point: the movie review section.

I also don't agree with the near idolization of ultra right-wing conservatives--I see an awful lot gooeyness over Bush, Dobson, and Robertson, and feel like it's a bit much--Christians tend to idolize the man more than the God who made the man. It smacks a bit of the UVa culture: virtual Thomas Jefferson worship.

I read World consistently for about 6 months, but finally gave up in irritation because I felt more like I was reading a hissy fit about what's wrong with America rather than something I would recommend to non-Christian friends as a read that makes Christianity attractive.

DON'T get me wrong, though: I don't think World should stop--and I agree that there needs to be more and more Christian magazines published. I just think World needs a change in focus. I agree that there is a DEFINITE void of art and music and culture in the Christian Church--it's revolting. I think that yours is a good and right challenge, but I think that the way for a magazine to go about proclaiming Christianity is not by throwing mud pies at culture.

Kermit and Elektra said...

Bekah,
I think the fact that World even actually reviews "non-Christian" movies, books, etc. is 10 times better than most Christian rags. Heck, I don't agree with all the things they say, and I do agree that we Christians tend to worship the man more than the Maker. (good point) But, at least they ATTEMPT to engage the culture!

~kermit

Rebekah said...

Yeah and I'm glad for World, and they ARE more liberal-minded than others, but I don't want to settle for mediocrity--Christianity needs to be interesting and engaging in and of itself--that's my point. And I think we're fighting for the same thing here.

While I don't want to see pop culture overrun with liberals, I also don't want to settle for second best! All I'm saying is that I want to see Christianity become in and of itself engaging and appealing, and personally, outside of the reading of Scripture itself, I rarely see that, and I haven't found it in World. But I want to find it in World and other such magazines. I just believe in order to see that, Christians living in the 21st Century need a dramatic worldview shift. Hehe.

Kermit and Elektra said...

Agreed! Well said, and I definitely do not ever want to settle for mediocrity. Have you read Franky Shaeffer's book "Addicted to Mediocrity"? Pretty good synopsis.

~Kermit