Monday, June 8

The truth of each of us

From Wendell Berry's book about a mouse:

"She lived at the center of the world.  This is one of the things every mouse knows.  Wherever she was, she was at the center of the world.  That one lives at the center of the world is the world's most profoundest thought.  So firmly was this thought set in Whitefoot's mind that she did not need to think it.  Like humans, she lived in the little world of what she knew, for there was no other world for her to live in.  But she lived at the center of her world always, and of this she had no doubt."
~p. 11, Whitefoot

Yet it takes me so long to know that about myself, even a mouse knows more than me!

And this at the end I see as one of Berry's repeated messages in his novels:

"Her sleep was an act of faith and a giving of thanks."  ~p. 21

Always, he throws in the refrain, and give thanks.  As if that were the whole point of it all.  All the humans, with the mouse, are summed up in one reason for being, the sacrifice of thanks for the joy set before Him, enduring.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

OH yes....I'm bringing that book to the conference for my workshop on Finding Beauty in the 20th Century.
I'm having fun with preparation!

Have you seen The Yellow Leaves by Beuchner?

in response to your comment on my blog: Yes, a busy , busy rich month of beauty.

Bonnie

Bonnie said...

AND in Hannah Coulter it's the story of giving thanks! A theme among others of Berry. We need to try to meet him! How about that for an idea? Where is he speaking?

Bonnie