Saturday, June 6

the curtains left open



And again, I see a big house sitting on the hill as I jog by on the asphalt road near the river.  The house is one of the big mansion sort, the kind I never get invited to, but love to look in curiosity.  In fact, the house is so big, I think it might be a city, a multi-level complex of something like an Italian villa surrounding a garden in the middle.  In the middle of the garden I think is a tree, as I'm peering through the night at the branches overarching this house from its center, the fiercely green leaves lit up as if by a spotlight hidden in the nest of branches.  Reminds me of the tree of Life, that old legend.  

In a slow trot as I run by, I gaze over at one of the windows, off across a wide yard on this hill, and notice that there seem to be shadows in the house, shadows of people and I can hear the laughter of voices and the bark of a dog or two.  Light beams out of each of the many windows in the wide wall of this mansion, as if seeing stars sparkle on the wall of the sky on a moonless night.  I peer into the closest window and see that the curtains have been casually pulled aside, revealing merrymakers dancing, and they are singing as they keep rhythm to something further inside the house, a pulse I can almost hear as far as the street upon which I run, and vibrating back from somewhere beyond my road in the deep darkness of the forest on my other side.  

I glance away, checking my path ahead, dimly lit by the light from the big house.  "Only sixty-nine more miles," I say to myself, and with impatience, "sixty and nine too many."  I look back over at the window, but the curtain has been drawn and I can see only dimly--fuzzy shadows wobbling.  

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great photo to click on and see the lights amidst the darkness. Yes, sixty and nine too many! That I agree with. How far were you running.........Back from the Burrows wedding, huge and beautiful!

Bonnie

Kermit and Elektra said...

You've had a weddinged spring!

It's an allegory of sorts; the 69 miles are days. :)

Bonnie said...

OH, I see upon rereading.
Good to talk to you on comments.
We'll talk soon!

Love to you.
Bonnie

Jen said...

Perhaps I should have delayed my wine before reading... I'm a bit perplexed even with the understanding that 69 are days...not actual miles. I think I'll try another glass of wine and see if it helps....or maybe you could drop a hint? MAN am I in need of a weekend with you! I'm losing it my friend! In any event, from reading this post, I am reminded of how much I DO enjoy a walk at night- and how I sometimes catch a glimpse of "life beyond a curtain"... and how I would LOVE to see more dancing and less TV watching. :)

Kermit and Elektra said...

Well, I've read Revelations some several times, and am trying my hand at expressing in story form the truths learned so far, specifically the idea of the city of God being among us and how we live in a "dark planet" as told by L'Engle in her space trilogy, so in other words we are always in the dark and the light comes from the City that is the center of everything. The dancers are thus the people already in heaven before us. :)