Tuesday, June 23

Hope


A shred of it pierces you, fills you, encourages you to go on.  Maybe I call it hope, but I wonder if it something more, more like a promise.  And that promise of hope to me is that if we repent, and be baptized, then: "the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord God calls to Himself."  (Acts 2:39)  

Sure, maybe the face value gives comfort in the fact that the Promise so freely given is also extended to our children, and what a hope by the way.  But tonight the Hope goes further than that.  The Hope is in the Promise of knowing that all I have to do is repent.  That is it.  There is nothing more, and indeed, nothing less.

1 comment:

Jen said...

This reminds me of how often I find myself wondering, "am I doing a good job training/raising/shepherding my kids?" but then it comes all back to ME. The Promise is a simple one of turning our eyes upward and off of ourselves, filled with grace, not works- yet we make it so hard and place added burdens to our already weary backs. "Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear. And Grace, my fears relieved. How precious did that Grace appear the hour I first believed."