Tuesday, March 14

sigh and sight

I've been reading the collected works of Emily Bronte. Her words speak as windy days that buffet the unspoken out of our soul. How many of us little girls hide behind a smile and curtained eye, only to find solace in a lump pillow in the night~

She dried her tears and they did smile
To see her cheeks' returning glow
How little dreaming all the while
That full heart throbbed to overflow

With that sweet look and lively tone
And bright eye shining all the day
They could not guess at midnight lone
How she would weep the time away


what I see in winter-times:
Still as she looked the iron clouds
Would part and sunlight shone between
But drearily strange and pale and cold

Do you know, one summer full moon, it comes upon you...
I know not how it falls on me
This summer evening, hushed and lone
Yet the faint wind comes soothingly
With something of an olden tone

Forgive me if I've shunned so long
Your gentle greeting earth and air
But sorrow withers even the strong
And who can fight against despair

No comments: