Friday, March 17

on a boisterously cloudy day

I checked out of the antique library on base, To Kill a Mockingbird. How I missed this book in high school must be in part due to a homeschooled scheducation. How I have missed the musty pleasure of the NAS base library is a consequence of my fear and terror of the prison-like building; and the suspiciously shy Woman Behind the Desk keeps her own hours, despite the official posted ones, invoking laziness on my part to never stop by and brave the rusty-handled door.

Half way into the first few chapters, I thought Scout was a boy. I hope Dill comes back every summer. He reminds me of the albino boy in Susan Cooper's Drawing of the Dark series.

1 comment:

Odious said...

I confess I never thought of Dill as the prince-in-waiting, not least because (I believe) Harper Lee based him on her childhood friend Truman Capote.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those rare books in that not even being made required reading for high school students can ruin it.