Thursday, December 22

One Year Ago Sunday...

I married the most lovely of women. Kelly and I celebrated our very first anniversary this past weekend. The actual date was not the great celebration and tremendous feat of accomplishment that one would guess is reserved for such occasions. The real celebration lasted for the entire year and I may suggest will continue for the rest of our lives.

Marriage is a great mercy to me. I have learned more in one year from my beautiful bride than I had learned in five combined prior. She has taught me to love, to be selfless, to sacrifice. I have learned the aforementioned gifts not from her lecturing or badgering me, but from her example. In this one year of marriage I have asked her to pack up and move three times. She has complied with narry a complaint, and takes it upon herself to settle in to our new home as quickly as possible and form a new community around us so that we might settle back into a state of normalcy as quickly as possible. She continuously stays up late with me, helping me prepare for my flights, drilling me on my procedures, and urging me on when I fall back. She rises with me every morning, long before the sun rises and has my lunch made and breakfast ready even before I am out of the shower. She is truly an inspiration and a model to emulate.

Accordingly, it was not the wedding day, or the anniversary that has made the first year special. It was the year itself. I look forward with great anticipation to the coming years and cannot wait to see what else she has to teach me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Eric & Kelly
I agree with you and look forward to celebrating ours as well. It's been a hard year but a year of great reward as well...which makes it worth the learning. I hope your anniversary celebration was a great time to relax, look back, and look forward.

-Pat&Kat

Kermit and Elektra said...

hmmm, thanks! none of anything would be possible without the God who holds our rattling parts together.
~K.