Friday, April 22

The Eric Scherrer Scholarship For Children Who Choose To Disobey Their Parents

Michael Moore, the filmaker responsible for Fareneit 911, has started a scholarship at California State University- San Marcos for students who "have done the most to fight for issues of student rights by standing up to the Administration," according to an AP news release Wednesday. Evidently, Mr. Moore is unhappy with the school's administration since they would not allow him to speak at a school sponsored gathering. The Cal State president, Karen Hynes, revoked Mr. Moore's invitation stating that "the school is not allowed to spend state money on partisan political activity."
Now, I understand that modern thought allows for everyone to do as they feel and that if any authority were to get in your way it is your perogative to rebel against it...But, I am sure that if I were to offer a reward to any individual who "causes discomfort, bodily harm, or adverse psychological effects" to Mr. Moore simply because I did not like the way he portrayed my country in his movie, he might be upset at me. But why should he? I am doing it because it makes me feel good and the only one who should judge me is myself...and I find myself not guilty. Folks....listen to what he is saying...
The lesson here is that in an age of relativism it is ok to thumb your nose up at authority. Do whatever you feel is right. I am sure that every parent out there who has ever had to deal with a child (young or old) would agree with Mr. Moore: life is better when your child is allowed to protest in rebellion your most common request.

No comments: