Sunday, October 21

#1 Mistake


With the change of the sun's course this month, our rose bed dominated by an original holly bush has turned into a dungeon. Kermit noticed the new sun pattern last week. I got the first big, very pictoral book on "landscaping with roses" I could find in the library and discovered: yes, #1 priority is a minimum of 6 hours of full sun. So...they survived a hot summer root bound in a pot in teh back yard of the feed store only to be stuck in a damp, dark bed next to a nubian holly bush, waving their spotty leaves at me and crying "we're not (quite) dead yet!" Project Rescue the Ramblers ensues tomorrow.

Meanwhile, my boss at work has been in charge of catering a party of 200 for a well-respected elderly gentleman in the local community. The family hired a friend to do the planning, and because said friend needed to be out of town next week, she had all the plans laid for this Sunday. The dying man went off liquids; they say he'll go any day now. My boss wonders all Saturday: to cook or not to cook? What happens if he's not dead yet by Sunday afternoon? A funereal preception? Well, we might as well invite the dear man to his own funeral. How many of us will enjoy such an opportuity when we dare to importune others by clinging on to our nearly-dead frames?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is certainly not your typical work-type decision! I'm afraid I see a sit-com script in that scenario. Well, you'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Yes, the old six-hours-of-sun-minimum! I am wrestling with two of my roses about their place in the sun. Though one of them absolutely gets that minimum, it just doesn't flourish. Picky! Picky! I'm going to give it one more year, keep the goat FAR AWAY, and see how it goes. Hopefully, it'll grow and climb, or I"ll need to find a new spot. Welcome to the rose world - it's benefits are glorious! You should see the porcelain beauty of my Cleotild Soupert right now! And, oh, the fragrance!

Kermit and Elektra said...

The dear man died and they threw a huge party at their country club! The catering went "well" though I thank my stars not to be involved in the mayhem. :0

I'd be having some goat ears for lunch if he got near our tender new plants!