Sunday, May 20

Postmodern Epistemology


We have both been enjoying the band Keane as of late. Keane is an eclectic mix of folk/alternative/new age rock that blends a fun mix of sounds that both cause one to think as well as be bolstered by their upbeat sounds.

One of their recent works, Under The Iron Sea, contains the song "Is it Any Wonder." Have a look at the lyrics:

"I always thought that I knew
I'd always have the right to
Be living in the kingdom of the good and true and so on
But now I think I was wrong
and you were laughing along
and now I look a fool for thinking you were on my side

Is it any wonder I'm tired?
Is it any wonder that I feel uptight?
Is it any wonder that I don't know what's right?

Sometimes it is hard to know where I stand
It's hard to know where I am
Well maybe it's a puzzle I don't understand
Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm
stranded in the wrong time
Where love is just a lyric in a children's rhyme

Is it any wonder I'm tired?
Is it any wonder that I feel uptight?
Is it any wonder that I don't know what's right?

This song is a great example of how post modern thought is so prevalent in the very ideas and lyrics of our culture. And so, it is imperative that we, the Church, understand where our friends are coming from and thus be able to provide the answers to what is right, show a reason to stand, and show that there really is a kingdom of the good and true. Indeed, we should not just have the answers, but live the answers.

2 comments:

Trapeze Swinger said...

Eric, how do I put links to other people's blogs onto my blog? I have no idea what I'm doing! Help!

---Justin

Linda said...

In order to give the answer, it does help to know the questions. And there's lots of questions out there literally dying for answers.