Sunday, April 1

Right Here, Right Now

Electra and I had a great discussion this afternoon regarding the manner in which God has brought us to be in our relationship with Him. I in particular have a very difficult time looking back at the personal failings in my life and accepting God's faithfullness and forgiveness through it all. I know that I was never the good Christian that I was expected to be. But I am okay with that now. I am ok with the fact that I never fit in with the evangelical cool crowd. I am ok with the fact that I was the only one not praying in tongues. I am ok with the fact that I never had praise filled reports of how God was working in my life. I am ok with the fact that I had failed relationships before I got married. I am ok with all of this because I know that when God looks at me, He sees His Son standing in my stead. And I am definitely ok with the fact that God is constantly in the process of redeeming us, restoring us, creating, and forgiving us.

I never will be a part of the evangelical cool crowd...in fact, I never want to be. I want to be, in the words of Joseph Arthur "Redemption's Son." I want to rest in the fact that while I am constantly changing, God is constant.

In light of this I have found a prayer that rings true to my heart in the form of the suscipe of St. Ignacius: "Accept, oh Lord, my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my will. All that I am and have, you have given me, and I give it all back to you to be governed by your will. Give me only the joy of your love, and the comfort of your grace; With these I am rich enough, and I ask for nothing more."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mentioning Joseph Arthur instantly makes you cool.