Tuesday, April 18

what we do with ourselves

I study Pottery Barn catalogues and avoid the newspaper. I claim no news snobbery, but seek a maximum pleasure for time spent in publicised pages, and PB offers an inspiration that borders on lust--for bedsheets and bath towels. Who could resist a company that offers subtle advice along with the product to produce an ultimately satisfying sleeping experience?

My scarred lamp perched on a little WalMart self-assemble bookshelf reminds me that I need to get black polish to cover the scrape, OR I could read my new Boundaries, OR I could calligraph the cards due to a bonnie friend, OR I could make some brownies for dinner with the girls tonight, OR I could be electrocuted. It seems wise to start with the brownies and work backwards.

2 comments:

Dorothy Marner said...

I love you and the way your pschyce is working right now. I think the thing to do is start. Simply start.

Last night I complained about how I desire to be the perfect wife and how my identity and self worth threaten to tumble if I fail in even the smallest of my self established good-wife goals. A friends reminded me that the desire to do what is right is testimony of the Spirit alive in me and that that is sufficient for life eternal as an heir with Christ. He challenged me to be still somedays and just be washed over with the reality that even if Patrick has to flip his dirty underwaer inside out I am still beloved and valuable to him and to the Lord. Such unbelievable love.

So I don't know if this is directly related to how you feel sometimes, but the desire to accomplish all the tasks evidences the work done by Christ on your behalf and now you are free to begin or not begin with any of the chores and you can still experience the pleasure of God in you.

And I love how Pottery Barn has begun to include decorating tips in the catalogue! Did you see the 'little spaces' catalogue? It was full of tips for living in ... well, it was perfect for me :-)

Love you!

Kermit and Elektra said...

Yea, Kat! the teeny tiny lady in her teeny tiny house made a teeny tiny pitcher of lemonade one day to host a teeny tiny circus. And what did she display at the circus? Fleas, of course!

:)
~K.