Sunday, July 31

Being Driven To the Cross

Have you ever wondered why we can not drive ourselves to the cross? I mean, why is it that the Spirit has to drive us there? The drive itself is never pleasant. Though when we find ourselves at the foot of the Cross, all else fades away and we are once again worshipping God with a humble heart and reverent mind.
Paul writes in II Corinthians of the thorn in the flesh he was given. This thorn, Paul writes, was given to him to keep him from being too elated and to rely on God's grace to accomplish the calling Paul new he had been given. I have found that "being driven to the cross" is not a one time trip. It is a continual journey. A journey entirely dependent upon grace. I am confident about the calling God has laid upon my heart, and when I was young, I foolishly thought that because I had been called, the hard parts of the journey would be spared me. Not so! In fact, I have learned that a servant sent out by his master is the one most likely to be attacked, not the servant who plods along safely on the farm.
So what does this mean for us, the servants? It means that God's grace is sufficient for us, His power is made perfect in our weakness. In fact, the more we are driven to the foot of the cross, the more in tune with His perfect grace we become, the better able we become to live out the lives that God has called us to.
And so, as Paul, I rejoice in my thorn. Let God's power and grace become perfect in me. For as a servant, I can never go without being sent.

1 comment:

freethoughtguy said...

Consider that a small (but growing) number of Americans need no gods for fulfillment. We find our own fulfillment in life all by ourselves. We are not servants to any supernatural entity. We are truly free.